Cricket.
One thing I always make sure to do when I travel is pick up a local newspaper. It's always fun to see things from an outsider's perspective. Plus, you just never know what you're going to find.While I was in Argentina, I picked up a copy of an English-language newspaper, the Buenos Aires Herald. Most of the stories were centered around some of the controversies going on the government and after a few of those, I'd had just about all of the political news I could stomach.
I flipped back to the sports page to see what might be there and found some of the funniest articles I have ever read.
I don't know how much any of you know about the sport of cricket, I know very little, but the cricket reports in the paper are absolutely hilarious. The fact that I had no idea what was going on made it all that much more confusing, and funnier.
Seeing as how I couldn't possibly fail to share this with you, I give you the recap of a cricket match between South Africa and Australia, as reported in the March 26th issue of the Buenos Aires Herald. Enjoy.
Jacques Kallis leads South African revival
Jacques Kallis made an undefeated 72 to lead South Africa to 140-2 by the time bad light stopped play on day two of the second of three tests against Australia.
With him at the close was opener A.B. de Villiers, who had battled his way out of a run of poor form to score 48 in an unbeaten stand of 97.
Kallis raced to 50 off 49 balls with 10 fours, after South Africa had lost two wickets for two runs at the start of its innings. Brett Lee had South Africa captain Graeme Smith caught by Justin Langer at third slip off the first ball of the innings before Michael Kasprowicz uprooted Herschelle Gibbs' off-stump for nine.
Kallis and de Villiers did have some anxious moments against Lee's pace and the sharp turn of Shane Warne.
Earlier, Australia made it to 369 in its first innings, Michael Hussey holding the tail together with 75 before he was trapped leg before wicket by Kallis.
Australia resumed the day on 228-5 and South Africa bowled tightly in the first half-hour. Hussey and Andrew Symonds weathered the attack until Symonds was trapped lbw for 13 off the bowling of Andre Nel.
Adam Gilchrist was spilled by Ashwell Prince while on zero before edging another delivery by Nel to wicketkeeper Mark Boucher, having scored two. Warne came to the crease with the score on 259 and shared in a 56-run partnership with Hussey. Warne scored 36 off 31 balls.
Australia leads the series 1-0.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home