Back in Lima
After my first week in the Andes, I arrived back in Lima late yesterday for a brief weekend out of the high altitude. I feel a lot better being here, but my stomach's still a little gunshy of anything too out of the ordinary.
Since my last post, I had one incredible highlight, taking the Hiram Bingham train from Machu Picchu back to Cusco. I'm still not convinced it was worth the $300 price tag for the one way trip, but it was an awesome experience. Of course, being me, it almost didn't happen as I nearly missed it.
The whole experience of returning on the train starts with tea time back up at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary hotel next to the ruins. I didn't quite feel like taking the bus back up, so I stayed in town and met the train for the 5:45 departure. I expected to hear an announcement for the departure, but as the time approached I hadn't heard one, so I tracked down a security guard. He told me they would make one, and just to wait.
So I did, until he came running back yelling, "Señor, señor, we go now. Hurry!" Apparently they don't announce it because everyone goes to tea time and they take you from the hotel directly to the train. Everyone that is, except for me. I grabbed my stuff and ran up to a smiling conductor who said, "You must be Señor Grandominico. You are the last one to board." Thanks for letting me know.
Once I got on though, the whole experience was the relaxing few hours I needed. To say the train was first class would be an understatement. The seats were plush and the car decked out with brass and dark hardwoods. I sat alone at a table for two. Next to me were two very nice grandparents from LA traveling with their jittery, annoying little shit of a grandson. The couple was very enjoyable to talk to though and like most people you meet in situations like this, the talk turned to travel. I think they assumed I traveled like they did, so I neglected to mention the price of the ride was more than I'd spend on my first week's lodging...total. Although if I ever feel like burning ten grand on a vacation, I now know how to do it.
Anyway, right after I boarded, they came around with a round of pisco sours, a Peruvian drink of pisco (a brandy) mixed with sour mix and a foam of egg white on top. (At least that's how I think it's made) After that we had some appetizers before the five course dinner an hour later. To make sure I got my money's worth, I headed to the bar car to enjoy some musicians and a couple of free glasses of wine.
Dinner started with a duck empanada, followed by king crab cakes as appetizers. Following that we had a pumpkin soup and filet mignon for the main course. Dessert was my favorite, a chocolate tart with some of the creamiest vanilla ice cream I've ever had. Adding in the few glasses of wine I washed it down with, I was pretty happy to say the least.
The whole trip took 3.5 hours, but it was the most luxurious 3.5 hours I've ever had. Definitely a once in a lifetime thing.
Arriving back in Cusco, I spent the next morning wandering around the main plaza and killed time until my flight back here. I got in around 4PM and took a walk around the suburb of Miraflores where I'm staying. Today I hung out and then switched to the hotel where I meet up with my tour group. According to the sign for our tour, there are only 5 of us on it and only 3 here in Lima. Two more join us in Cusco tomorrow.
All in all, it's been an okay trip so far. Machu Picchu was amazing, but some of the difficulties have been a little stressful. I'm looking forward to checking out Lima a little today, then meeting up with my group. The hike looks to be pretty difficult, but I think it'll be a lot of fun.

1 Comments:
The last line you could have left out, your Mom is reading these you know. I will be glad when this trip is over even if you liked it.
June 29, 2009 7:05 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home