Welcome to Todd Grandominico's blog. If you seek proof that there is nothing intelligent on the Internet, you're in the right place.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Back from Africa

So, I'm guessing by now everyone knows I am safe and sound back in Atlanta. If you didn't know that and you've been fretting for days now, my apologies.

In any event, I got back on the 4th of July in plenty of time to head out and enjoy the fireworks at our traditional Lenox Mall location. It was a good time, but I couldn't help but wish I was still in Africa.

My last day and a half in Cape Town was pretty uneventful. I had planned on visiting Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner, but just didn't feel like getting shuffled along as part of another tour. I also wanted to visit Table Mountain, but again, just didn't feel like it.

What I did feel like, was just wandering around, which is what I ended up doing. I stayed in a pretty cool little boutique hotel on Long Street in downtown Cape Town. It's sort of the main street for eating out or partying, so it was close to some nice restaurants and bars.

The next day, the last of my trip, I walked over the V&A Waterfront, a huge shopping and tourist complex to do some souvenir shopping. It probably wasn't as exciting as visiting Table Mountain or any other attraction, but it was nice to just go wherever I wanted to without being told to hop on the bus, or pitch a tent. Not that I minded those on the tour, but it was nice to have no schedule again.

So, that's about it. I left Cape Town on July 3rd for Johannesburg, caught a connecting flight to Paris and then another one home. By the time I landed, I'd spend 23 of the previous 27 hours in the air. Not a whole lot of fun, but definitely worth it.

I'll get some pictures up shortly, but for now, here's a couple to whet your appetite. Enjoy.

Another shot of the lion we saw in Etosha.


One of the dunes at Sossusvlei in Namibia

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that you went to Africa. I need to read your blog! How are you? Jason and I are going to Greece on Monday!

July 26, 2007 9:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home