A "Wie" bit too much hype.
Being the token golf guy, I couldn't let this week go by without at least mentioning the PGA story of the week. It's getting a little old, but I guess it deserves a small write up. And no, it's not that someone finally figured out why people wear golf shoes to golf tournaments, it's the story of Michelle Wie's bid to make the cut in a PGA Tour event.Tomorrow they'll tee it up for the first round of the 2006 Sony Open at Waialae Country Club in Hawaii and Michelle will be making her fourth attempt at making a cut. She missed it on the previous two Sony Open's, as well as the 2005 John Deere Classic in case you're counting.
As for my opinion, I wish her the best, but I don't think she'll make it. She's a great player, with probably the most perfect swing of any golfer, man or woman, but she is at a huge disadvantage because of her length (or lack of) off the tee box. She just can't hit it as far as the men out there and that hurts when you're consistently playing longer approach shots. It would be like me trying to outdrive Jennifer Schwartz on every hole, it's just not going to happen.
She also hasn't proven herself in any LPGA events and until that happens I don't think she can be expected to contend in a men's event. All in all though, good luck Michelle.

1 Comments:
That was very nice Todd, I thought for sure you were going to put her down as a woman but I am proud of you. She is a good player and her time will come. I am not sure why she is trying so hard in the men's, she needs to prove herself in the ladies. I have a lot to prove in my golf game, just to hit the ball is an improvement. Good luck to her.
January 12, 2006 10:40 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home