An experience you'll never forget.

Most of you know me well enough by now to know that two things I love are spending time outdoors and traveling. When you combine these two you end up with someone who visits a lot of national parks.
But you have all heard the stories and seen the pictures so that’s not the point of this post. The point is to get you thinking about visiting one for yourself.
America’s system of national parks is considered by many to be the finest in the world. Countries in every corner of the globe have tried to emulate it, but few have been successful.
One reason for the success of our park system is the diversity found throughout it. Whatever kind of park your heart desires, whether it be a canyon in the Southwest, a coastal park like Acadia, or a park full of wildlife such as Denali, you can find it in the US.
Unfortunately though, fewer Americans are taking advantage of these national treasures. Recreational visits in 2004 for all components of the national park system were down by roughly 10 million visits from 1999 levels.
That fact leaves someone like me in complete astonishment. If you’ve ever seen Mt. McKinley on a clear day or seen the sun set in Saguaro, you probably know how I feel.
So, if there’s anything I could ever convince you to do in 2006, it would be to visit a national park. I don’t mean you have to hop a plane and spend a week camping in Yellowstone, but if you look at a map, I think you’ll find you’re closer to one than you think.
If you do decide to visit, I promise the effort will be worth it. No matter the park you choose, you’ll find yourself falling in love with its waterfalls, staring wide-eyed at its wildlife, or feeling your heart skip a beat as you gaze out from an overlook.
These parks are full of so many wonderful memories and I sincerely hope you all take the time to experience them. And when you do, I hope you share those experiences with someone who’s never been.
For more information on our national parks, please visit www.nps.gov. If you have a particularly fond memory of a park, or want to share your favorite, please comment below.

1 Comments:
Yes, and you better get there quick because "W" is starting to strip them away.
January 05, 2006 1:41 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home