Way to go Mark Inglis
Okay, so you're probably asking yourself, who in the world is Mark Inglis? Well, he's a double amputee who just scaled Mt. Everest, that's who.In a pretty amazing story, Inglis reached the world's highest peak on Monday afternoon, becoming the first double amputee to ever do so. I just figured a feat like that shouldn't go unmentioned on this blog.
Inglis became a double amputee after a mountaineering accident in 1982. He and his climbing partner ended up stranded in an ice cave near the top of Mt. Cook, New Zealand's highest peak. Both suffered from frostbite and each lost both legs below the knee.
This is an accident that would stop most people in their tracks, but Inglis returned to climbing and even went on to win a silver medal in cycling in the paralympics. He also managed to learn the craft of winemaking and also earned a degree in biochemistry along the way. Not bad.
Regarding his attempt at Everest, Inglis said, "I'm not doing this to be the first double amputee -- if I am then it's the icing on the cake -- but it's more about I've been climbing most of my life and Everest is the achievement really. And it gives you the knowledge of empowerment to do other things."
Here's to you Mark Inglis, congratulations on your accomplishment.

1 Comments:
Some of those couch people should read his story. What a man. Thanks for the info, love your blog. I learn more about life just going to your blog.
May 17, 2006 9:33 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home