You can't fix stupid.
There are stupid stunts, as in David Blaine kind of stunts, and then there are the asinine. 34-year-old David Potter fell into the latter of those categories last week as he scaled Utah's, and one of America's, most visible natural symbols, Delicate Arch in Arches National Park.Now, you may not know exactly what I'm talking about, but trust me, you've seen a picture of it somewhere. Actually, there's one below in case you can't quite remember seeing one.
I haven't been to Arches yet, but it is definitely on my list of parks I have to visit. It houses the world's largest collection of natural sandstone arches and is one of the most spectacular in the US. They are also very fragile and have to be treated as such.
Which is why the NPS posted a regulation prohibiting the climbing of any named arch within the park. You would think that would be enough to let anyone know it's illegal. Not David Potter apparently.
This jackass defended himself by saying, "What has our world come to if we cannot join nature by climbing one of nature's most beautiful features?" Well, gee, I don't know, maybe if we do stupid things like you're doing and destroy it, then it becomes one of nature's most beautiful piles of rock. That's why we don't climb it, you moron!
The sad thing is, this was not just a hair-brained stunt, but was actually funded by outdoor clothing giant, Patagonia. They wanted to use it as part of ad campaign. Fortunately they've since backed off due to outrage from the Park Service as well as the general public. Maybe they'll learn next time not to fund illegal climbs for some publicity.
No punishments have been handed out as of yet, but they could range from banishment from either Arches, or all National Parks, to fines and even jail time. Here's to the hope that he gets all three.

2 Comments:
You better hurry and get your pictures Todd before someone else destroys it. Have camera will travel.
May 12, 2006 11:43 AM
Your blog is still by far the best out of your little crew. You update the most and I appriciate that having as boring a job as I do.
May 12, 2006 1:09 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home