Korean BBQ and a random carnival.
It wasn't my intention to have a busy day today, but it turned out that way. With my trip to Argentina looming, I made sure I to get some hiking time in so I headed over to Kennesaw Mountain. Nine miles and four hours later, I was pretty tired.
I planned on a night in, but Howie called and invited me out for some Korean barbecue at Hae Woon Dae. I hadn't been to something like that before, so I thought, why not. It was, flat out, awesome.
We had some Soju, which is basically Korean vodka as well as some Korean beer. Both good. As for the ordering, Jenny and Nancy were good hostesses and took care of that part for us. We had some potstickers, several versions of kimchee and two beef and one pork dish. Everything was delicious. I highly recommend a trip to Hae Woon Dae.
After that, in an effort to keep Jeff Hughes happy, we headed out to a random carnival that we passed on the way to restaurant. It was held in the Kmart parking lot and yes, we were the only non-Spanish speaking people there.
Nancy and Jenny wanted stuffed animals so we fell for the sales pitch by the carnie and fifteen dollars and nine broken balloons later Nancy had a Care Bear and Jenny had a stuffed dog. We could have bought them for that.
They also had rides so I bought some tickets and headed for the Round Up. It wasn't nearly as fun as when I was a kid, but the one highlight was that I got to ride it next to a girl who was wearing a "Pain is temporary, pride is forever" t-shirt. Hilarious.
After that, Elliott and I split my remaining tickets and had a romantically close ride on the ferris wheel. He tried to kiss me, but I told him "Not on the first date." It was way too close for comfort and we definitely need to find him a girlfriend. Me too for that matter.
It was Jeff's night though and since he hadn't done anything but win Jenny a cheap stuffed animal, we had to do something for him. He mentioned he had never had an elephant ear so we headed over to a concession stand.
This was, by far, the most hilarious thing of the night. We ordered Jeff's elephant ear and noticed they had a sign advertising corn dogs. You know the ones; a stick, a hot dog, you dip it in batter and fry until golden brown. A corn dog in the most traditional sense. There couldn't be any other possible way to make a corn dog, right?
Wrong.
This place took corn dogs, proving me wrong on yet another topic, to the most literal of extremes. They had a pot of boiling water containing both hot dogs and corn, cooking together. I am not exaggerating about this, they seriously had a pot containing boiling water, ears of corn and hot dogs.
Of course, when you were done with your corn dog, they also served "botteled water" to wash it down with. There were several signs advertising that.
Anyway, it was a fun night. We had some great food for dinner and Jeff got to attend the carnival and try an elephant ear for the first time. I just hope Elliott stops eyeing me after our ferris wheel ride.

1 Comments:
No shout out for Dottie and Brian?
March 06, 2006 8:46 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home