Welcome to Todd Grandominico's blog. If you seek proof that there is nothing intelligent on the Internet, you're in the right place.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Opie in the ATL.

As most of you know, my brother was in town this past weekend. He got in Friday afternoon and we headed out to Buckhead for dinner at Cafe Tu Tu Tango and drinks at various places. Thanks to Jorge, Jeff, Elliott and Jennifer for meeting us out.

Saturday we made our way to the Original Pancake House for breakfast only to find out it was closed down. So, we settled for one of Atlanta's approximately 9,000 Waffle House restaurants instead.

After that, we had a quick visit to watch the raucous comedy that was Julie and Michelle's move, then drove over to Kennesaw Mountain for a 5.5 mile hike. I love to hike and most of you know that. Aaron on the other hand, has never hiked, but said he wanted to try it. I warned him several times that it can be very strenuous, especially on steep climbs like the mile-long one up to the top of Kennesaw.

Despite the warnings, he told me he was in good enough shape to handle it without any problems. About halfway up Kennesaw he realized just how absolutely wrong he was. I have never seen anyone look so physically close to death. Close to death is his terming of it, not mine. It was pretty funny though, and despite the complaining he handled it pretty well. Of course, I don't think he'll be setting foot in a national park anytime soon.

We rested up after the hike and then went to Fat Matt's Rib Shack for dinner. Sam and Kimberly joined us and it was a great time. I'm pretty sure it was the highlight of the weekend for Aaron. Maybe because the food is unbelievable, but probably more so because he really earned it after the hike.

After that we met up with Jorge, Howie, John, Julie and Michelle at Hand in Hand for some drinks. It was an awesome day weatherwise and it was great to sit outside and enjoy it. Of course, Opie just about fell asleep at the table.

Sunday we went to the Georgia Aquarium. We didn't buy tickets beforehand as the time slots were all available, according the website. When we got down there, it was extremely crowded. The sign said they were selling tickets for 2:00 and we got there at 10:15. So, in one the oddest moments in ticket scalping history, we bought two tickets on the street, for less than face value and got in immediately. I told Aaron I had never bought tickets on the street and didn't imagine my first time would be to an aquarium. It was pretty funny.

The aquarium was an awesome time and if you get the chance, go. It was very crowded, but well worth the trip. The beluga whales (pictured) were by far my favorite. After that we grabbed lunch at The Vortex and then we took him back to the airport.

All in all it was a great weekend and I can't thank my brother enough for coming down. I hope he enjoyed this weekend as much as I did.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say a big Thank You to all the wonderful people in Atlanta and for making my trip enjoyable. Also would like to apologize to anyone that has been or will be harassed by the venison sausage.
Just to let you know that Hiking with Todd is a choice and should be done with caution. I should recover shortly after many pain killers. Once again Thank You.

March 13, 2006 4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like my guys did some super bonding, great week end. I am jealous, next time I will go along and bond with them. I 'll bet I will never know when they will get together again. Love you both.

March 14, 2006 6:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home