Welcome to Todd Grandominico's blog. If you seek proof that there is nothing intelligent on the Internet, you're in the right place.

Monday, April 17, 2006

The least fun day of the year.

In case you missed it, today is tax day. If this blog serves as your reminder to make sure your hard-earned money made it to the federal government in 2005, then you're welcome.

Most of you have probaby already sent your taxes in though. Mine were sent this morning, partly because I procrastinated, but mostly because I owed a little in federal taxes and didn't see any point in giving the government my check early.

Today, as I mentioned in the title, is the least fun day of the year. I always get depressed when I add up boxes 2, 4, 6 and 17 on my W-2. The sum of those boxes, by the way, is what you paid in income tax. It's not fun thinking about that. (Unless of course you're a far-left liberal, in which case you're probably delighted to know that you helped fund this inefficient mess we call our federal government.)

In any event, today sucks, but with some interesting legislation in the US House, it could become just another day.

Imagine for a second, getting your paycheck and not seeing any deductions for federal income tax, social security tax, medicare tax or any other federal taxes. Your eyes would light up as that check would be considerably higher than the ones you're getting now. You would be ecstatic.

It could happen, and I hope someday it will. All of those taxes, plus hundreds more, would be replaced with one, simple, easily understood tax - a national sales tax.

I love this plan. It takes the complexity out of our tax code, keeps government revenue constant, and would leave us with a boming economy the likes of which we have never seen. It's really a great plan, plus it makes taxes voluntary. If you don't want to pay taxes, don't buy anything! (You get a refund each month for the basic necessities, so no, food is not taxed.)

I won't get in to the details of the plan here, for that you can read the book about it in The Fair Tax Book, by Neal Boortz and Congressman John Linder, or go to the website www.fairtax.org. It's really a great plan, and I am extremely optimistic and hopeful that someday it will be instituted.

The only problem if it passes, is that I'll have to find another day to call the least fun day of the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

Hmmm...Julie just gave me another idea. LESS social programs. Then we wouldn't have to fund as much government. Thanks Julie!!

April 17, 2006 5:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home