Ahhhh....Back in Argentina
I´ve been asked a lot, typically after every big trip, what my favorite place I´ve been to is. It was a little shaky for a while, especially after some incredible trips to places like Namibia, Colombia and Mongolia, but Argentina is it. I thought this trip would be a great time, but I was honestly a little nervous that I would spend a lot of the time comparing this one to my first. I have, and it´s been absolutely fine.
I got in Saturday morning and headed for my hostel right in the middle of Buenos Aires. After a quick shower, I stopped in for some empanadas and a Quilmes beer, the first thing on my list of things to do. It was perfect and brought back a lot of memories.
After that I walked up to the Recoleta area and wandered around the famous cemetery to take some photos and just explore something I only rushed through the first time. It´s really a cool place to go and although pretty crowded, particularly around Evita´s tomb, worth a couple of hours.
From there I wandered around for a couple of hours and just took in the the city. I can´t say enough about it down here, and that night I capped everything off with an unbelievable steak and a bottle of Malbec that may have been one of the most incredible bottles of wine I´ve ever hard.
The next morning I headed up for Puerto Iguazu to visit Iguazu Falls. I´ve heard a lot about Iguazu and as of yesterday, I admit, I wasn´t totally blown away like I expected to be. Today was a completely different story. Just looking over the falls is pretty incredible, but to actually visit the tremendous rush of water they call Garganta del Diablo (The Devil´s Throat) is flat out awe-inspiring. It is one of the most unreal displays of power I think nature could ever display.
After that I hiked a few of the trails and spend the afternoon photographing from a series of trails looking up from beneath the falls. Again I was totally blown away by the scenery here, it´s just much more incredible looking at the falls than from above them.
Tomorrow I´ve got a pretty easy day planned. I plan on walking a mile or two outside of town to a point on the river called Hito Tres Fronteres, which is a point on the river where Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay meet. It should be cool. After that it´s back to Buenos Aires for a last night before heading home on Wednesday night.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home