Last Day In Lisbon
Well, the trip is now over. It was over Monday night actually, but I couldn't get onto here for some reason.In any event, it was another great trip. Lisbon was not quite what I expected though. Everything I'd read called it quaint and more charming and laid-back than any other European capital. In my experience, it was dirty and unsafe.
I've already talked about the pickpocketing attempt, which certainly turned me off to the city, but there were also the drug dealers. It seemed like everywhere you went you were getting approached by someone saying, "Hashish? Cocaine?" They would even hold it out to show you they weren't kidding. It was very uncomfortable.
Also, on Sunday, I was witness to a man beating the crap out of a woman. I was walking down the street near the hostel and they were standing in a doorway when all of a sudden he decked her in the face. She fell back into the door and he with her. The door shut and from inside you could hear crashes and screaming. At that point I decided I'd had enough of Lisbon and went back to the hostel. I know all of this occurs in every big city, but to witness it all in three days was a little much.
Speaking of the hostel, if it weren't for it and the people staying there, Lisbon would have been completely written off. Everyone was really great and I got to meet a ton of awesome people, from the San Diego crew, to the many Australians, a Scotsman with a bottomless liver, and Angel, a Mexican guy who seemed intent on bringing Lisbon back with him, piece by piece. There was even a girl from Peru, who further proved that Jorge Pereira is the only Peruvian that doesn't travel anywhere. She was pretty surprised to hear that. Well, that and how much time he spends on his hair.
Anyway, I can't say enough how much fun they were. It made for some long days, and some even later mornings, but it was worth it and I had a blast.
As for the rest of the trip, not much happened on Sunday. I toured through Lisbon's Alfama district, a hilly neighborhood with narrow streets winding through tall, rustic townhomes. From there I walked up to the Castelo de Sao Jorge. It wasn't very impressive as castles go, but the view was great as it sits on the highest point in town.
On Sunday, we even had another special occurence, Opie's birthday. Obviously I wasn't around him on his birthday, but we tried to send a special message. From everyone at the Oasis Backpackers Hostel in Lisbon, Happy Birthday Opie.
After that, it was time to head home. I'm glad to be back, but it was nice to visit a couple of new countries, experience new cultures and make a lot of new friends. I'll post the pictures as soon as I get a chance.

5 Comments:
See I told all of you I was a world celebrity. Thanks for the pic!
January 11, 2007 11:13 AM
That's right Aaron, you are something else.
January 11, 2007 3:27 PM
Something else is right. Just, what that is, no one knows.
January 11, 2007 6:49 PM
Whatever. You all wish you were as cool as me.
Hey tell your Peruvian friend Jorge I said Hi.
January 12, 2007 3:48 PM
i'm proud to be a part of the san diego crew that made that hostel gathering fantastic!!! angel bringing back parts of lisbon is something i stole from him on the rest of my journey...what a great kid.
January 31, 2007 11:43 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home